Medical Device Reprocessing Association of Nova Scotia (MDRANS)
Revised: June 10, 2015
- This organization shall be known as the Medical Device Reprocessing Association of Nova Scotia; herein referred to as the MDRANS.
- The MDRANS is organized for educational purposes. Its business shall be conducted so that no part of its income or earnings will benefit any one member or individual.
- To promote CSA standards and best practice guidelines in MDR departments, conducive to efficient and effective, quality patient care.
- To foster and promote communication and collaboration among the members of the MDRANS.
- To act as the voice for and promote the MDR profession in the province of Nova Scotia.
- To encourage, arrange and promote educational activities for all MDR personnel.
- To collect and disseminate information and current data on new and improved techniques and equipment in MDR departments.
- To promote formal education of MDR personnel in Nova Scotia.
- All those who are occupationally or professionally involved in a MDR department. An “active member in good standing” is a member who has paid their MDRANS membership fees for the current two (2) year period. Active members are entitled to vote and to participate in all MDRANS activities.
- Active members may serve on committees as appointed by the executive. Active members are entitled to one (1) vote on each issue submitted to a vote of the membership and may hold office in the MDRANS after having met qualifications identified under duties of executive officers.
- Technician –
- Any member who has successfully completed a provincially recognized MDR Technician program.
- Certified Technician –
- Any member who has successfully completed a provincially recognized MDR Technician Certification exam.
- Honorary membership may be given to a member whose active participation and long standing membership warrant such respect. This shall be sanctioned with a vote of the general membership.
Note: An honorary membership is for life and does not require the payment of annual membership fees.
- The membership fee shall be determined by the Executive Committee and/or general membership at the Biennial General Meeting.
- Membership fees shall be collected at the provincial level and payable to the Medical Device Reprocessing Association of Nova Scotia.
- Membership fees shall be due and payable on November 1st in advance for the upcoming two years. The membership year shall run from November 1st to October 31st as identified on the membership application.
- Officers of the Association
- The Executive Committee shall, as a whole, conduct all business pertaining to the Medical Device Reprocessing Association of Nova Scotia.
- All members of the Executive Committee must be “active members in good standing” except the Vendor Representative.
- All members of the Executive must be a MDR Technician employed in the Province of Nova Scotia.
- All members of the Executive Committee shall promote the objectives of the MDRANS.
- Vice President
- Past President
- Ad hoc: (Non-voting)
- Vendor-Representative: Ad-hoc only and determined by the Executive
-By Law Committee
- Terms of Office
- President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer of the Executive Committee shall be elected. An elected officer of the MDRANS shall hold office for two (2) years from the date of election at the Biennial General Meeting. No member of the Executive shall hold the same office for more than two consecutive terms. Both President and Vice President Position shall be separate identities.
- All other members of the executive shall be appointed by the Executive.
- Duties of the Executive Officers
- Shall call and preside at all executive meetings
- Shall perform all acts and deeds pertaining to the office
- Shall represent the MDRANS (or appoint a delegate) on committees pertaining to the advancement of the interests of the MDRANS and the MDR profession
- Second signing officer to all cheques issued by Treasurer
- Shall in the absence of the President, perform those acts and deeds
- It is understood that the Vice President shall assume the position of the President in the event the position of President becomes vacant until the next election
- Shall receive the letter(s) for Nominations during election year
- Shall only be Past President for a maximum of two (2) consecutive terms
- Shall record, in permanent form, the minutes of all meetings of the MDRANS
- Shall prepare an agenda for all meetings
- Shall maintain all correspondence
- Shall maintain a mailing list of all Atlantic provincial hospitals and healthcare settings having MDRANS members
- Shall maintain a current mailing list of all active members
- Shall submit, in writing, a Biennial Report, including an audited a financial review of the MDRANS financial statements, provided by the Treasurer
- Shall collect and deposit, in a chartered bank, in the name of the MDRANS, all monies pertaining to the MDRANS
- Shall collect and deposit in a chartered bank account, and issue receipts for all memberships
- Shall be a signing officer for the MDRANS
- Shall pay accounts as approved by a motion of the Executive Committee
- Shall maintain an up-to-date statement of all receipts and expenditures
- Shall arrange for an independent review of the financial statements of the MDRANS biennially
- Shall provide to the Secretary, financial review statement at the close of the fiscal year, for inclusion in the biennial report.
- Shall work collaboratively with the Membership Committee.
- Is appointed and approved by the Executive Committee
- Is not a voting position
- Acts as a liaison between exhibitors and the MDRANS in the planning of the biennial Education Conference
- Maintains a list of associated companies and vendors
- Ad-hoc; as determined by the executive
- There shall be two (2) standing Committees (Education & Membership). Other committees may exist as required (By-Laws, Newsletter, etc.).
- Organization of agenda and speakers for Biennial Meeting and bring back to executive to vote
- Organize yearly education session(s) for the Province in between our Biennial Conference years
- Shall review educational programs and provide information regarding MDR Technician programs.
- Provide application process, scholarships (see criteria) and funding for professional conferences
- Shall collect all application forms for MDRANS membership
- Shall maintain and forward a list of all members in good standing to the Secretary
- Shall prepare and issue all membership cards
- Shall be responsible for maintaining a database of MDRANS members
- In the event that a vacancy occurs in any office of the MDRANS, the Executive may appoint a temporary replacement until such time as an election is held, at the Biennial General Meeting.
- Any member in good standing shall be entitled to vote on all questions considered by the MDRANS at the Biennial General Meeting.
- All Nominees and Bio’s must be entered thirty 30 days prior to Election
- Any business voted upon shall be carried by a majority vote of the regular members present.
- Shall be held biennially, in the fall of the year, at the discretion of the Executive Committee
- Official call to the Biennial Meeting shall be directly in writing to each member of MDRANS, at least sixty (60) days in advance of the meeting. The official notice of the meeting shall include the date, time, place, agenda, and amendments of the by-laws. There will be a call for names for each President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer sixty (60) days prior to the biennial General Meeting to all members.
- Regular meeting of the Executive Committee shall be called at the discretion of the President with a minimum of (6) sixmeetings per calendar year. The executive will make every effort to attend these meetings. Any members consistently missing meeting will be addressed by the executive.
- The Executive Committee must approve all MDRANS expenses for payment.
- All payments issued by MDRANS require the signature of two (2) signing officers as defined by President/Treasurer
- Expenses incurred by the Executive Committee and the Chairperson of each standing committee during the biennial General Meeting will be paid by the MDRANS. (This is dependent on the financial ability of the MDRANS)
- All approved traveling expenses and/or overnight accommodations incurred by the members of the Executive Committee shall be paid by the Association. (This is dependent on the financial ability of the MDRANS)
- All members must submit an expense report with original receipts within a month of travel.
- In the event of dissolution of the MDRANS, all monies and assets shall become the absolute property of the MDRANS members in good standing.
- Executive members on committees pertaining to the advancement of the interests of the MDRANS and the MDR Profession may request to be funded. This is dependent upon the financial ability of the MDRANS.
- Fiscal Year
- The fiscal year shall run from November 1st to October 31st.
- Property of the MDRANS
- It shall be the duty of each officer of the MDRANS, upon retirement or resignation, removal or completion of your term from office, to turn over to the successor all properties of the MDRANS, pertinent to the office.
- Amendment(s) to the Bylaws
- May be proposed by:
1.-The Executive Committee
2.-An individual member in good standing
- Shall be presented and voted upon at the Biennial General Meeting.
- Notice of motion of such amendment(s) must be delivered to the President and Executive Secretary at least fifteen (15) weeks prior to the biennial General Meeting.
- Amendment(s) to the bylaws shall be dated as they occur.
- Shall be reviewed every two (2) years, or as needed, by an Ad Hoc committee consisting of members of the Executive Committee and volunteer of regular members in good standing.
- An amendment shall be qualified by a majority vote of fifty-one (51%) of the active members present.
- All MDR Departments and members shall receive a copy of the current Bylaws.
14. Ad Hoc Committee
- The Executive Committee as necessary may appoint Ad Hoc committees
15. Criteria for Scholarships
- The Executive shall decide how many Scholarships shall be awarded each year; This depends on current financial statement
- Maximum Scholarship awarded per application is $400
- The member(s) applying for Scholarship must be an active and remain active to receive reimbursement.
- Applications must be received by September 1 of each year
- Applications will be reviewed by the Executive September 1 of each year and will be awarded at the AGM and/or in the fall (non-conference year)
- Applicants must complete a Scholarship funding request form
- The final decision shall be at the discretion of the MDRANS Executive
- All scholarships are valid for 12 months